Form 1040 A

1040 A is the simple version of Form 1040, but it is more complicated than 1040 EZ. This is the form that individuals who used to have no dependents use when they already have dependents. Oftentimes, individuals switch from 1040 EZ to 1040 Form. This is commonly referred to as the “short form”.

In order to be eligible to use 1040 A, taxpayer’s income must only be derived from the following:

  • Alaska Permanent Fund dividends
  • Annuities
  •  Capital gain distributions
  •  Fellowship grants
  •  Interest
  •  IRAs
  •  Ordinary dividends
  • Pensions
  • Railroad retirement benefits
  •  Salaries
  •  Taxable scholarships
  •  Taxable social security
  •  Tips
  •  Unemployment compensation
  •  Wages

In addition, the individual’s taxable income must not reach $100,000, and there should be no itemized deductions. You must also check if you have no alternative minimum tax adjustment on your acquired stocks when you exercise your incentive tax options. Individuals who received dependent care benefits as well as credit payments on advance earned income are also qualified. Individuals owing taxes from the recapture of an education credit as well as alternative minimum tax can also use this form.

Taxpayers with adjustments to income must ensure that these adjustments fall under the following deductions:

  • IRA
  • Student loan interest
  • Educator expenses
  • Tuition and fees

This form allows individuals to report standard income received during the taxable year. Only standard deductions falling within the tax year are allowed. Individuals using this form for the purpose of filing federal tax returns are not allowed to itemize deductions.

Category: Tax Return Forms, Tax refund, tax deductions.

Link to IRS website:


Comments are closed.